The Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani is located on the Durban beachfront, offering sweeping Indian Ocean views along the 7km promenade.
Occupying two high-rise towers (one is Elangeni, the other Maharani), this large-scale hotel has been around for some time, and in areas this shows. Some of the rooms are quite dated, and in need of a refresh if it is to meet the seaside atmosphere that surrounds it.
Making up for this however is the pool deck and rooftop pool, both offering incredible views and a range of refreshing drinks and snacks to enjoy with the view.
Accommodation options are available in a variety of configurations from Standard to Family rooms and from Junior to Presidential Suites. Standard rooms include comfy beds, free WiFi, large screen flat TV and DStv with selected channels, private shower over bath, air conditioning, tea & coffee and a work station / writing desk. The standard room was slightly dated and could use a refresh. Tea and coffee making facilities are basic and the mini-bar is only stocked on request. The best part about the rooms at this property is definitely the view out to the ocean and down the promenade.
Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani has six restaurants and food outlets offering a diverse menu including traditional Japanese teppanyaki, award-winning steaks, classic cocktails to craft beer, café culture and an exceptional buffet. These include The Grill Jichana, Vigour & Verve, Lingela Restaurant, Daruma, the Panorama Bar and Pool Deck and Tall Ships. Breakfast is best taken on the pool deck with views of the ocean as sunrises. It is also a great place for sunset cocktails.
Kate Webster was a guest at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani with South Africa Tourism. This review is a true account and has not approved nor edited with all words by Kate.
- Find your zen in South Africa - 18/02/2020
- Explore Rwanda’s Lake Kivu - 16/11/2019
- Hotel Review: Karongi Lake View Retreat - 04/11/2019
- Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda - 01/11/2019
- Rwanda’s Akagera National Park - 01/11/2019
- Hotel Review: Classic Lodge, Musanze - 29/10/2019
- Hotel Review: Magashi Camp - 29/10/2019
- Rwanda Encompassed - 10/10/2019
- Rwanda’s rainforest paradise in Nyungwe National Park - 01/10/2019
- Rwanda celebrates 15th gorilla naming ceremony - 21/09/2019